Grants are usually need-based awards that do not have to be repaid after graduation.

Pell Grant

This is a federal grant awarded to students who demonstrate a high level of financial need. It is only available to students completing their first undergraduate degree.  The amount awarded to each student varies according to need, up to a maximum. Currently,the maximum Pell Grant award for a full-time student is $5730 per academic year. This is typically equally split between the number of semesters the student is enrolled in for the year.

Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B

Cal Grant A

This is both a need and GPA based award. In order to be eligible, students must have graduated from a California high school and have been a resident of California at the time of graduation. Students must also submit a GPA verification form to the California Student Aid Commission and meet the minimum GPA requirement set by the California Student Aid Commission. Finally, students must fall within the income guidelines, which can be found at the CSAC website above. Students will be notified by CSAC if they are eligible for the award.

Cal Grant B

This is awarded to students who demonstrate an especially high level of financial need, typically to students from very low income households. In order to be eligible, students must have graduated from a California high school and have been a resident of California at the time of graduation. They must also submit a GPA verification form to the California Student Aid Commission  and meet the minimum GPA requirement.


 Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs

On April 27, 1999 the California Education Round Table, on behalf of the State of California, sponsored a proposal entitled, “California State GEAR UP Grant: Enhancing the Capacity of California’s Middle Schools to Improve Student Achievement and Preparation for College.” A federal grant from the United States Department of Education (USED) was approved in support of the State’s commitment to developing an infrastructure within California that would enable it to obtain its goals and objectives.

The goal of this project is to develop and sustain the organizational capacity of middle schools to prepare all students for high school and postsecondary education through the establishment of a statewide infrastructure, or network of support, for the adults who influence middle school students, specifically their counselors, faculty, school leaders, and families. As a result of this expanded capacity, a higher proportion of students, particularly those from backgrounds and communities that have not historically pursued a college education, will enroll and succeed in postsecondary education.

CA State GEAR UP Site | National GEAR UP Site | CSAC GEAR UP Information

Chafee Grant

Grants offered to California foster youth, who have aged out of foster care, to help pay for college or career and technical training. The maximum award amount is $5,000 per school year. It is a federal and state funded grant subject to annual availability of funds.


  • Current or former foster youth under court dependency, anytime between their 16th & 18th birthday
  • New applicants as of July 1 each year must be at least 16, but not over 22.
  • Paid Chafee students can be renewed through their 23rd birthday.
  • Eligible college, university, or vocational school must participate in Title IV – Federal Pell Grant Program
  • Program length of at least one academic year
  • Maintain at least half-time enrollment
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Must demonstrate financial need: determined by school, award based on unmet need. Funds available up to COA, but cannot exceed $5000.
  • California foster youth can use Chafee funds at colleges outside of CA.
  • Out-of-state foster youth who attend college in CA are also eligible.
  • Foster youth are not required to have a Social Security Number (SSN), meet Selective Service requirements, be clear or loan default or grant over-award, or meet Ability to Benefit (ATB) requirements.

Foster Youth without an SSN

  • Student completes the paper Chafee application (CSAC will assign CSAC ID)
  • Student completes a paper Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – cannot be processed by federal processor without SSN. Copy is submitted to school & Commission.
  • School must collect paper FAFSA and perform hand calculation of EFC. School will use EFC to calculate student’s unmet need.

Chafee Application | WebGrants Student Access

Vanguard Need Grant

This is a grant awarded by Vanguard to students who demonstrate particularly high levels of financial need. It is awarded based on the need calculation from the students FAFSA, alongside the rest of their award package. A FAFSA must be submitted by March 2nd to be eligible and to maintain eligibility each year.

Graduate Educator’s Grant

This 15% discount is awarded to Graduate Education students who have been employed as teacher for 1 year or more. For more information on how to apply, please contact the Graduate Education.

Vanguard Church Grant (AG Church Grant Program)

Available to students who are members or are dependents of members of a Vanguard Church. Awards will vary and must be approved by both the Church and Vanguard University before the student may be awarded. Must have and maintain a 2.00 cumulative GPA to be eligible. For more information and for a church to request funds for a student, visit the AG Church Grant Program page.